It’s always special to share a great book with the little ones in your life, but sometimes it’s not possible to be in the same room. Lots of our students have grandparents, uncles or special people living in another country, or sometimes we need to stay home to keep everyone safe. One of my nieces lives in Orbost, which is 5 hours drive away from where I live in Melbourne. One of our favourite things to do is to see me read her a story online. It’s a lovely way to spend time together, and build a shared experience to talk about. There are lots of online video chat options. We use Zoom, but you could use messenger, FaceTime, etc.
You could also send a copy to your special little one. That way they can follow along at home with something to hold onto (sometimes a tactile thing can help them to stay in the moment).
If you don’t feel comfortable using video chat, you could record yourself reading it (either video or audio-only), and the little one’s parent can play it and follow along at home, or play it as an ‘audiobook’ bedtime story or quiet time with grandma.
I thought I would share some of our favourite books with you, so you can start to build up a library to share with the special little people in your life:
- The Nature Girls & The Weather Girls by Aki (available from The Younger Sun Bookshop, Yarraville)
- This Jazz Man by Karen Ehrhadt
- The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin
- If I Had a Dinosaur by Gabby Dawnay
- What a Wonderful World by Ashley Bryan (featuring Louis Armstrong!)
- Love Makes a Family by Sophie Beer
- Interstellar Cinderella by Deborah Underwood (includes the brilliant line: ‘I’m far too young for marriage, but I’ll be your Chief Mechanic’)
- The Child’s Play Series is great, our favourites are Down by the Station, Cows in the Kitchen and Over in the Meadow
- Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins
- Moon, Moon published by Koomzal – sadly it is currently out of print, hopefully, it will be coming back soon!
I am always looking for more great books, so please comment and let me know what you are enjoying! – Sophie